Things To Do in the Area
Entebbe is a pleasant town, located on the shores of Lake Victoria and you may want to spend a day or two relaxing here before or after your safari or business trip in our garden or by the pool. We offer fresh coffee all day on request, cold drinks are available from the honesty bar and lunch and dinner can be ordered in advance through the meal booking form at Reception.
If you want to go further afield, we can provide more information on the following places of interest.
- A canoe trip on the lake at sunset is a relaxing way to enjoy the lake and to see a variety of birds along the lake shore including the colourful papyrus kingfisher. The canoe leaves from the jetty at Banga Beach Café where you can buy cold drinks to take with you and order a fish dish which will be ready on your return.
- Visit the rare shoebill stork in Mabamba Swamp where there are nine in residence during a four hour morning trip during an authentic explorer experience by canoe.
- Lake fishing trips can be organised and we can cook your catch!
- Ngamba Island Chimp Sanctuary is a 45 min boat ride across the lake from Entebbe where you can spend a couple of hours in a near-wild setting viewing over 40 chimps who have been rescued from humans who kept them as pets or were potential poachers. If you are unable to visit chimps in the wild, then Ngamba Island may be a suitable option.
- Uganda Wildlife Education Centre cares for a collection of African animals in a natural, outdoor setting. The animals have been rescued from an illegal trade or habitat destruction and help to support the conservation of animals. Individuals that can survive in their natural habitat are released back to the wild. One can be a surrogate animal mother for a day or participate in the Behind the Scenes experience, (for which you need to book) allowing you to stroke the rhinos and feed the giraffes and lions!
- Entebbe Reptile Village is a community project which rescues not only snakes but other animals which are often in danger including tortoises and chameleons. If you have always wanted to hold a snake, this could be your opportunity.
- The National Botanical Gardens was laid out in 1898 by the first curator on the shore of Lake Victoria and is worth visiting to see the enormous trees in the rainforest zone, the sighting of several monkey species and many birds. To make the most of your visit, it is worthwhile paying for a guide as there is unfortunately no guide book.
- Bikes-2Go can bring bikes to Pineapple for guests to explore Entebbe on two wheels. Traffic is light and manageable.
- Anna’s Corner has a curio shop with several rooms which is more like a small museum displaying an amazing collection of art, wooden carvings and artefacts but also unusual jewellery and fabric. Anna is very knowledgeable about all the items. There is a café with outdoor seating. (see below)
- Craft stalls can be found along the main road selling a variety of crafts and clothing.
- Further afield, we can organise a trip to Kampala with its many attractions or to Jinja, on the Nile, which can be reached by linking with the Pineapple Express Minibus service (the name is a coincidence but we are not connected!)
Places to Eat
Lunch or dinner can be booked in advance at Pineapple Guest House.
If you would like to eat out we can organise transport to local restaurants and these are some of our favourites. If you are going down by the lake please remember to apply your personal insect repellent which will help to deter not only mosquitoes but lake flies. They do not bite but can be a nuisance.
- The Thai Garden is down by the lakeshore and serves delicious Thai food, cooked by Jun using her mother’s recipes, growing many of the herbs in her own garden.
- Carpe Diem is within 10-15 minutes walking distance of Pineapple Guest house and serves light snacks and meals in their outdoor garden setting.
- Goretti’s Pizzeria Beachside Cafe is a popular beach front café in a relaxed atmosphere on the lakeshore with sand and palms. Pizza or whole fish are the tasty specialities. There is often music on Fridays.
- Faze 3 is a large restaurant with indoor seating and an outdoor deck with a view of the lake. It has quite an extensive menu including grills and Indian cooking.